Block Party is a pre-seed funded tech startup building consumer tools for online safety and managing online harassment. It is led by founder and CEO Tracy Chou (early engineer at Pinterest, Quora, and Facebook; Project Include co-founder; Forbes 30 under 30; MIT Tech Review cover) and backed by a diverse set of some of the most forward-thinking investors in Silicon Valley. More about us on the company website and in a January 2021 profile by Protocol.
Remote role on a distributed team, with a preference for a timezone between Pacific Time and Central European Time
What you’ll do:
You’ll be one of the first engineers on the team and help bring our first product to market. You’ll work closely with the (technical) CEO and teammates on engineering, design, and user research to prioritize the product and tech roadmap; you’ll also be a critical part of the engineering team responsible for building and shipping. You’ll help to shape the foundations of Block Party engineering, not just in terms of the technology but also the culture and processes.
What we’re looking for:
- A full-stack or back-end builder with 2+ years of relevant industry experience
- Ability to execute in a startup environment
- A clear, friendly, open-minded communicator who provides and incorporates feedback
- Ability to think strategically about technology, processes, and people
- Curiosity, humility, a desire to learn and grow and to help others learn and grow
- Passion for building thoughtful, ethical technology
Nice-to-haves, but not required:
- Experience at an early stage startup
- Experience with the current tech stack (described below)
- Experience at a consumer social platform company or working with their APIs
- Experience with trust and safety/moderation / anti-abuse
- Experience on/with distributed teams
Our web UI is built in React.js, Jinja, and SCSS, and served by Python Flask through a GraphQL API. The persistent layer is backed by PostgreSQL with SQLAlchemy/Alembic as the ORM. We use staging environments and CI to ensure we continue to deliver a consistent user experience.
Diversity and inclusion:
At Block Party, we believe in diversity and inclusion, and no applicant will face discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, parental status, or veteran status.