*this role is open to remote working within the UK. Successful candidates will be required to travel to their closest UNiDAYS campus (London or Nottingham) on occasion.
The role in a nutshell
A Senior Software Engineer in UNiDAYS is a hands-on software development role focused on building innovative solutions to delight our members and drive product success in a fast-paced company.
It’s more than just lines of code; we are looking for a commercially-minded Senior Full Stack Engineer who can bridge the gap between user needs and business goals. You will have the ability to build resilient, cost-effective solutions and navigate evolving market demands.
You will be working in our Marketplace team alongside our product, delivery, and engineering teams, defining, refining, building, and measuring the impact of the solutions you implement. Our marketplace products are key to everything we do, enabling our users (students and graduates) to access a wide range of learning, earning, and retail experiences with some of the top brands on the planet.
You will play a key part in the transition of our marketplace product to a modern web stack, powered by our new distributed, event-driven, cloud-based architecture
Day to day responsibilities
- Contributing to the team’s goal of delivering our next generation marketplace product
- Deliver impactful features with a pragmatic approach
- Proactively contributing to the betterment of other engineers in the company through sponsoring, mentoring and providing constructive, candid feedback
- Proactively giving technical and strategic feedback that leads to better outcomes
- Prioritisation of the most impactful problems and being able to bring about change with effective momentum
- Communication of solutions/risks of technical problems to non technical stakeholders.
- Championing user-centric solutions with a keen eye on market fit and profitability
What we need from you
In order to be your best self in this role, you will be/have:
- A strong working knowledge of Typescript
- Experience with React
- An understanding of Modern Web frameworks, including Next.js
- Experience with unit testing (ideally jest) and e2e testing (e.g. Cypress/Playwright)
- Knowledge on web best practices for performance, accessibility, core web vitals and SEO
- A passion for engineering craft – you practise writing maintainable code, reviewing code, pair programming at times, and writing tests
- A coaching mentality – you help make the entire team better by working with them
- A desire to build systems that are stable, scalable, secure, observable, and performant
- You seek to understand how your work aligns with business goals and maximise the impact
- Strong understanding of agile methodologies such as scrum, kanban etc. and the adaptability to respond to the needs of the business
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Lead by example to proactively foster an inclusive, diverse, and positive engineering culture across the business.
We’re aware that everybody is different and comes with differing experiences. If you don’t have all of the skills/experience in our list but are keen to learn and offer something different, please reach out as we are still keen to talk to you.
We’ve accomplished a lot since we started in 2011, but in many ways, this is just the beginning. This is the chance for you to get in on ground zero. An opportunity to make a difference within the business with global reach. We are the world’s largest Student Affinity Network, with over 22 million verified members in 115 markets including the US, UK, Germany, India, Canada and Australia. We work with 800 of the world’s biggest brands globally, taking their products and services into the hearts and minds of tomorrow’s professionals, delivering engagement, building affinity and sales. You’ll also be working for a Great Place to Work CertifiedTM company who have been recognised on the UK’s Best WorkplacesTM for Wellbeing and UK’s Best Workplaces for Women 2022 list. To find out more about our workplace initiatives, see our UK exclusive case study with Great Place to Work and be sure to visit our profile for more information.
We offer a fast paced, fun & social working environment where you can truly make an impact. We believe that work should enhance and complement your life which is why we leave it up to you to decide where you work. You can choose to work from your assigned campus (either Nottingham or London) or from home, whatever works best for your individual needs. Your manager may request you attend team meet ups at your campus but other than that it is up to you! We work hard at UNiDAYS, but we also believe in fair compensation for hard work. That’s why we’re pleased to offer all employees full access to our comprehensive benefits package.
Our perks include:
- 25 days holiday per year increasing with length of service, plus flexible bank holidays
- Competitive salaries
- 4pm finishes every Friday
- Company bonus scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Private health insurance (Vitality)
- Income protection policy
- Life assurance policy
- Employee Assistance Program
- Enhanced parental leave pay
- Core hours with flexibility around how/when you manage your time
- Regular team building activities
- The latest tech and hardware will be supplied from day one
- Good Vibes Program: we know we’ve all had to adapt to new ways of working and UNiDAYS has always taken pride in the community we’ve created in the office but we’re just as committed to creating an innovative approach to fostering connections and improving engagement outside of the office! We want to boost your remote working experience so think virtual parties, pottery classes, wellness classes and guest speakers just to name a few!
- Support for home working for all new team members. We will help assess your home set up and you can expense £150 towards any additional furniture you may need to be safe and comfortable when working from home
About our Product & Engineering team
The driving force behind this fantastic tech business are the talented Product and Engineering team, who work collaboratively to ensure that UNiDAYS stays one step ahead of the competition, with the ultimate goal of giving students the power to make every experience more valuable and rewarding.
The Product and Engineering teams at UNiDAYS are comprised of a bunch of passionate people who work in a fun, fast paced and social environment. Everyone is equal and encouraged to work with each other, whilst having the autonomy to solve problems in the best way they see fit.
The UNiDAYS tech team are passionate about the local Tech Community, hosting and sponsoring local meet ups and hack events. Career development is an important facet of the UNiDAYS tech experience.
Listen to the episode on The Diverse Podcast here: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/47-how-to-build-your-dream-career-in-tech/id1515585546?i=1000587931714
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.