As the National Director of Marketing and Design, you will have the unique opportunity to elevate Reach Out and Read’s brand awareness through strategic marketing and management of the brand’s visual identity. The Director of Marketing and Design will develop and implement all of Reach Out and Read National’s marketing, advertising, and paid promotional campaigns; design or oversee the design of the majority of print and online collateral for Reach Out and Read and its Affiliates; and raise the profile and impact of Reach Out and Read’s mission and commitment to empowering and increasing equity in the communities that we serve, nationwide. The role, which reports to the National Senior Director of External Affairs, requires a deep understanding of what makes a brand engaging as well as a drive to deliver solutions that make a difference.
Your key responsibilities will include:
Strategic Marketing (40%):
- Work with Senior Director of External Affairs, Reach Out and Read National team, and Affiliates to manage the conception, development, and execution of all marketing strategies and tactics across platforms and vendors to increase the brand visibility of Reach Out and Read and its Affiliates to both the general public and to specific audiences, including funders, policymakers, health systems, and thought leaders.
- Expand Reach Out and Read’s reach through an omnichannel marketing approach.
- Research new marketing avenues, vendors, and trends. Conduct A/B testing and implement new campaigns based on results. Expand Reach Out and Read’s reach through an omnichannel marketing approach.
- Provide marketing and brand support across the organization, including at state and local levels across the country.
- On an ongoing basis, review and track ROI and engagement data and analytics, analyze performance, identify trends, and iterate on practices to optimize performance across all modes of marketing.
- Develop and manage marketing and promotional budgets, including identifying partnerships and negotiating contracts with vendors. Analyze budget and financial impact of marketing strategies.
- Ensure that Reach Out and Read’s promotions are accessible across all platforms and inclusive for all audiences.
Graphic Design (40%)
- Create and maintain a successful brand and image that accurately represents Reach Out and Read, its Affiliates and its mission.
- Plan, draft, revise, design/oversee the design of the majority of Reach Out and Read’s print and digital collateral, including advertising, mailers, paid social media, posters, one-sheets, infographics, donor materials, branded items, and more.
- Work with National and Affiliates to create (or oversee the creation of) the visual identity and feel of programs, initiatives, and brand events, including logos as needed. Revise, update, and distribute visual brand guidelines.
- Interpret abstract concepts and turn them into creative solutions. Deliver high-quality products and troubleshoot design problems.
- Oversee Reach Out and Read’s Vistaprint shop, working with National and Affiliates on needed print collateral and branded items.
Other Communications Functions (20%)
- Investigate new opportunities for positively positioning the organization as a leading advocate for children and families with a deep commitment to equity, justice, and community-wide access to services nationally.
- Work with the Senior Director of External Affairs, Reach Out and Read National team, and Affiliates to identify and provide solutions for marketing needs and challenges.
- Develop and grow the scope of tools, training, and resources provided directly to Affiliate leaders and staff to drive the impact of marketing across the organization.
- Develop actionable plans to creatively drive engagement and giving, strengthen the brand, and standardize best practices.
- Ensure consistent messaging and imagery, both visually and verbally, across all platforms.
- Create and manage production calendar as well as requests from Affiliates and departments.
- Build out new processes and procedures for design and marketing workflow.
This position also includes other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. We’ll honor your lived and professional experience as key aspects of your candidacy for the role and prioritize applicants with experience dismantling the structural inequities that disproportionately impact children and families with traditionally marginalized identities. We are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- Commitment to increasing equity in opportunity and outcomes for children and recognizing factors that significantly impact differential outcomes for children, including race, ethnicity, language, and socio-economic status.
- At least seven years of relevant work experience in marketing and design, showing increasing responsibilities.
- Experience in marketing, design, or communications for a nonprofit is preferred
- Proven track record in senior marketing role and campaign creation, including identifying target audiences and increasing brand reach using a wide variety of channels.
- Intimate understanding of traditional and emerging marketing and advertising platforms.
- Expert proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite. Skilled in Microsoft Office, including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Numerically literate, comfortable working with numbers, making sense of metrics and processing figures with spreadsheets. Detailed experience in creating and managing a budget.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, remote environment on tight deadlines.
- Team player used to working collaboratively and in an editing environment.
- Able to clearly and precisely express complex ideas with interesting, compelling, and creative angles and visuals.
- Strong organizational skills, including a track record of balancing and prioritizing multiple priorities simultaneously.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The National Director of Marketing and Design may work from a home-based office anywhere in the country but travel may occasionally be required.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $90,000-95,000 and is commensurate with experience. Reach Out and Read offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with match, paid time off, and more.
Commitment to Diversity
Reach Out and Read is committed to building an organization that embraces diversity, pursues equity, and fosters an environment of inclusion. Reach Out and Read sits at the intersection of health and education, uniquely positioned to play a critical role in addressing systemic disparities and inequities in the public health framework. Reach Out and Read strives to be an antiracist organization, using its influence to fight against social injustice by supporting a culture of learning, empowerment, equity, and a deep appreciation for the unique experiences that we each bring to our communities. And, we believe that changing the world begins with holding ourselves and our workplace to that same standard.
About Reach Out and Read
Founded in 1989, Reach Out and Read is a national non-profit organization working to ensure all families have the opportunity to create meaningful everyday moments through shared reading aloud and building relationships. By leveraging pediatric care to champion the positive effects of reading daily and distributing books, Reach Out and Read gives young children a foundation for success and reaches 4.2 million children across the county – half of whom identify as BIPOC and a quarter of whom come from low-income families.
Reach Out and Read’s tens of thousands of trained pediatric providers use books as a diagnostic tool during regular check-ups, and teach parents how to engage their child with a book to promote positive parent-child interactions during the rapid brain growth between birth and age five. The daily practice of reading aloud with a parent supports children’s literacy and math skill development, their social-emotional development, and prepares them for future success in school. Working together with our sites and providers, we leverage our three decades of expertise, build on our literacy foundations, and engage our shared networks as a catalyst for change, focusing on equitably strengthening and deepening our impact on the children, families, and communities we serve.
Reach Out and Read program sites are located in 6,000 clinics, safety net hospitals, medical systems, and other healthcare settings in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Reach Out and Read serves 4.2 million children and their families annually.
- More than 6.5 million new, developmentally appropriate books are given to children annually.
- 33,000 medical providers currently participate in Reach Out and Read
- Our peer-reviewed body of evidence demonstrates that Reach Out and Read parents are two-and-a-half times more likely to read regularly to their children, and that children experiencing Reach Out and Read show enhanced language development.
To learn more about Reach Out and Read, visit www.reachoutandread.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Reach Out and Read is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Reach Out and Read is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team. If specific accommodations are needed, please email HR @ reachoutandread.org and our HR team will work to accommodate your needs.