Lead UX Researcher
Trala is a tech-powered online music school.Our mission is to make world-class music education accessible to every single person on Earth.
Right now, music education is so expensive that the joy of music is available only to the rich and urban. Imagine instead a world where all 4 billion people who will pick up an instrument in the next 30 years could get a world-class education. Imagine how much more music and joy there would be in the world. That is the future we’re obsessed with creating.
Our first product, Trala: Learn Violin, is a mobile application that teaches anyone how to play violin. We do this using movie-quality tutorial videos featuring diverse violinists, signal processing that listens to students play their real violins and gives instant feedback on every mistake, and a curriculum that prioritizes accessibility and diversity. This is crazy-hard and requires us to solve novel problems in signal processing, app design, user psychology, and education theory.
Over the last 3 years, we have organically grown Trala to 250,000 downloads, a worldwide student base, and support from some of the most famous musicians in the world. Our students are ages 7 to 70 and live in rural Montana, Lebanon, tiny Pacific islands, Hong Kong, and our hometown of Chicago. They’re not businesses or governments, they’re people. They’ve dreamt of learning violin for years and we’re fulfilling those dreams.
In the next 18 months, we will:
- Roll out new instruments in new languages.
- Build a community so students can play together and help each other.
- Create an educational curriculum that gets better with every new student we add.
- Unleash our students’ creativity by allowing them to create their own content.
- Scale our systems to support the millions of new musicians we’ll be creating.
It’s going to be a massive challenge. That’s where you come in.
In light of COVID, we’re a fully remote team but headquartered in Chicago. This is a fully remote position.
You will be the second designer on the team. Your mission will be to make the UX of Trala’s products impeccable and boundary-breaking in the industry. You will own the user experience of Trala’s products. You will improve or help create processes that ensure high-quality products. You will speak with students, teachers, engineers, and marketers to elegantly solve our students’ needs. You’ll probably become friends with some of our students—that happens to all of us. On the day-to-day, you’ll be designing our mobile apps as well as the user journeys of new programs like private lessons and group lessons.
- 6+ years’ UX experience working on B2C products.
- Knowledge of usability principles, information architecture, and design systems for mobile apps.
- Proficient with design tools like Adobe Sketch, After Effects and Figma.
- Experience leading UX Design processes such as creating storyboards, mockups & low fidelity/high fidelity prototypes, user-testing, running user interviews, and mapping out user journeys.
- Ability to analyze quantitative user data to inform product changes. Comfortable with data analytics software.
- Experience with basic project management.
- Makes decisions based both on data and inspiration. Knows when either is appropriate.
- Deep empathy for the journey of each individual student.
- Action-oriented. Moves with purpose, urgency, and adventure.
- Hands-on. Willing and eager to learn new skills to help out the team. Doesn’t view any task as “below” or “above” them.
- Creative. Able to come up with truly new ideas and be self-directed.
- Accountable. High standards for team productivity.
- Excellent organization and communication skills. Likes details. If you’ve read this whole thing, you might be a fit.
- Trala is a temple of learning. You’ll make a big impact on the team, iterate quickly, and grow faster than you would anywhere else.
- Trala deeply impacts peoples’ lives all across the world. These are dreams you’ll be fulfilling. Not “leveraged data monetization” or whatever value Facebook claims to provide these days.
- Trala is funded by amazing people like the LinkedIn and Duolingo CEOs. These folks are leaders in education & growth and are our mentors. They will be your mentors, too.
- Trala is small and tight-knit. If the mob comes looking for you we will hide you in the ceiling.
- Trala prioritizes diversity, inclusion, and righting economic and social wrongs. We strive to make our corner of the world a better place.
- You’ll be paid well, have free medical/dental/vision, and work with people who are the best at what they do.
- Read up about every member of our team at https://trala.com/about.