WayBetter: Ruby on Rails Engineer
03/30/21 12:00 am Programming 0 Comments
Headquarters: New York
About this Role:
WayBetter has an exciting opportunity for a passionate Ruby on Rails engineer to create modern applications with service-oriented architecture. This role is 100% remote, US based.
What you’ll Do:
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and engineers on figuring out the best product enhancements to create value for customers and WayBetter
- Plan, design, and implement software to bring features to life
- Review the work of fellow engineers
- Fix bugs when they inevitably pop up
- Attend regular stand-ups
- Move as far up and down our technology stack as you’re comfortable with
- Help build a positive social network around gamifying health and wellness
- Explore paradigms like event-driven architecture to solve challenges in scaling distributed systems
Your Experience Looks Like:
- Expert-level knowledge of designing, building, and maintaining web applications in Ruby on Rails
- Demonstrated ability to store data in MySQL or PgSQL, to find inefficiencies, and to optimize them
- Familiarity with non-relational databases and when they might be the right choice
- Comfort producing and consuming JSON APIs
- Exposure to containerization (e.g. Docker) and container-orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of cloud hosting platforms (we use AWS)
- History of modifying web applications for increasing scale
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Close collaboration with product managers, designers, and other engineers
- Not only being highly productive, but helping others to be highly productive too
- Passion for development best-practices
- Eagerness to learn and grow as a software engineer
Headquarters New York, NY (all employees currently working remotely)
Inspiration, meet motivation.
WayBetter is a marketplace that connects leading health & wellness coaches with people who want to build positive habits. The WayBetter app couples behavioral science with gamification to help members accomplish their goals around fitness, nutrition, mindfulness, and someday a lot more.
How are we different from other fitness and wellness apps? They focus on content. We focus on motivation.
- New Challenges Weekly — With a new variety of challenges starting every week, led by the world’s best coaches, there’s always something new to get started or stay on track.
- Fun & Social — We make the hard work of changing habits fun through gamification along with a social feed where other members cheer you on.
- Accountability — We let you bet on yourself. Get off the couch and complete the challenge and earn your bet back … plus a profit! If not, your money goes to more committed players.
WayBetter makes money from members who get access to all our challenges and coaches. Coaches earn money by bringing in new members and by having existing members play in their challenges. We’ll power up 300% in 2021 by expanding the volume and variety of challenges on our platform.
Building on the success of our first apps, DietBet and StepBet, we’ve helped 1 million people adopt new healthy habits and make long-term lifestyle changes. Along the way we’ve partnered with 300 influencer coaches who have collectively earned over $10 million.
With the launch of our flagship WayBetter app in 2020, we’re on a mission to build the world’s first goal-sharing social network.
Why Work at WayBetter?
We know from our games that fun and social support are the keys to sustainable success. As such we care deeply about our culture and practice what we preach by fostering a work environment that’s fun, social, and rewarding. Half our 45 employees were hired from our customer base.
We love working at WayBetter because we’re enthusiastic about improving people’s lives. We’ve developed an innovative solution to the hard problem of behavior change and we see the enormous potential to apply our formula to help millions of people improve their health and happiness. We recently codified our values which you can find on this page (click “explore our company values”).
We’ve raised $7.5M from fellow entrepreneurs and have grown responsibly (cashflow breakeven in 2020). We have chosen not to play the game of chasing venture capital for its own sake but we do plan to raise institutional capital in 2021 to supercharge our growth. We offer health insurance, a 401(k), remote-work flexibility, competitive cash comp, and meaningful equity participation.
Go to posting –> https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/waybetter-ruby-on-rails-engineer