Virtualization Kernel Engineer
(Open to all locations in the UK, USA, Brazil and EU)
We are actively looking for a Virtualization and Kernel Engineer to manage and develop C-based kernel and userland tools for container and virtualization applications within our product and community offerings. Experience with KVM, QEMU and complementary tools such as kata and firecracker.
You will be responsible for the building, testing and integration of changes between several open source virtualization and container projects and the company’s modifications and enhancements to the project. The candidate will work closely with other developers in a team-oriented environment and analyze and resolve problems found by customers or technical services
The core attribute of this role is a passion for Production state systems to our customers and partners. You will be responsible for providing our commercial customers with our Weaveworks open-source and commercial offerings.
- Develop container and hypervisor solutions on Linux from specification to implementation, study systems flow, data usage, and work processes, and follow the software development lifecycle.
- Improve system performance by conducting systems analysis, profile and perform tuning for container and virtualization platforms, recommend and implement the changes in container and hypervisor systems.
- Work in collaboration with technical services engineers to develop testing tools and scripts, debug and bug fixing; and Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Work in collaboration with the upstream open source projects to innovate, develop, bugfix, and assist with PR submissions as well as represent the company.
- Development experience in design and development of container and hypervisor kernel and userland programming under Linux environment.
- Development experience in combination of virtualization and container technologies to build a cloud native hypervisor (KubeVirt, Kata, Firecracker, etc) is a plus
- Solid Programming skills with C/C++/Golang/Python.
- Solid understanding of kernel networking stack.
- Solid understanding of kernel internals, systems calls, namespaces
- Good knowledge of cloud native and cloud infrastructure
- Development experience with container orchestration system Kubernetes is a plus
- Have prior experience working as a maintainer open-source related projects
- Have a breadth of SRE and DevOps engineering practice
- Written and verbal German or French communication skills a plus
- You must be able to work legally in the country employed
- We are not accepting contractor or other non-permanent candidates
- You must be comfortable working in a remote only (WFH) environment.
- As a for-profit company that is deeply committed to open-source, you will find yourself working with a team who are passionate to achieve success in both.
- Not open to recruitment agencies.
To apply online, what are you waiting for!
Weaveworks is committed to diversity. Weaveworks considers qualified applicants without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (including colour, nationality, and ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation
Black lives matter.