At Apartment List, we’re on a mission to find every renter a home they love at the value they deserve. Finding the right place to live is one of the most important, time-consuming and expensive decisions that all of us make. Getting it right matters. We’ve helped over 1 million families find a home they love, and we’re just getting started.
Reporting to the Platform Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for building high-availability services that deliver performance, scalability, security, and productivity that serve as a foundation for all engineering efforts at Apartment List. As a Sr. Software Engineer, you will influence the broader engineering organization through engineering best practices and collaborate with other technical specialists to improve developer experience.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Design, build, and maintain the high-performance services that power Apartment List’s core platform.
- Collaborate closely with your teammates and other engineering teams.
- Write backend web-services in Go and Ruby
- Write frontend applications in Typescript and React
- See your ideas implemented in a product that helps renters find home.
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- You have at least 5 years of experience in organizations with a solid engineering process and an emphasis on delivering highly scalable and highly performant services.
- You have incredible attention to detail and are able to implement creative and technically sound solutions to product challenges.
- You have experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs
- You have experience with relational database design and management.
- You tackle problems at all levels of software development, including feature implementation, software build and delivery processes, and developer productivity and velocity improvements.
- You have a strong understanding of computer science fundamentals — whether that comes with a CS degree or not.
- You are a constant learner, always on the lookout for learning and trying new technologies.
- You have experience with Go, Ruby, and Typescript programming languages – or a willingness to learn.
Here’s the Pay Range:
At Apartment List, we carefully consider a variety of factors to determine compensation for each position, including the role, level, and work. The US base salary range for this position is $156,000 – $230,000 + bonus + equity, which reflects the compensation target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Please note, the compensation details provided do not include benefits and perks that we offer.
We also rely on market indicators along with considering your work location, job related skills, experience and relevant education and training, to determine compensation that is fair and competitive for you. Apartment List will consider paying compensation near the higher of the range in exceptional circumstances, where candidates have the experience, credentials or expertise that would warrant such consideration. It is always our goal to hire exceptional talent and we would be happy to share more about compensation during the hiring process.
Here’s what’s in it for you (full-time employees only; does not apply to contract roles):
- Competitive Compensation: Including annual salary, pre-IPO stock options, and other financial compensation (if applicable)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage: 100% of premiums covered for you AND all of your dependents
- Unlimited Flexible Time Off: Unlimited FTO in addition to 12 company holidays per year, quarterly “recharge” days, and a week-long holiday break
- Home Office Reimbursement: To cover home office furniture and supplies, monthly home internet, and monthly cell phone (if applicable)
- Health & Wellness Reimbursement: To cover monthly gym membership or other qualifying expenses
- Parental Support: Generous parental and family leave, fertility benefits, and employer-sponsored stipends towards family forming services
- 401k Plan: To support you in your individual retirement goals
- Team Events: Frequent team-building events, fun team off-sites, and bi-annual company meetups
- Commitment to DEI: To prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within our workplace and to stay true to our values and mission
- Mentorship and Training: To get you onboard quickly, learn new professional skills, and invest in your career development
- Impact and Visibility: To expose you to and provide the opportunity to work on highly strategic initiatives that will transform the business
- Encouragement and Empowerment: To explore and adopt new technologies and drive meaningful decisions and outcomes
At Apartment List we believe that everyone deserves a home they love AND a career they love. We strive to build a diverse team that is a reflection of the people we serve; this is made possible through our commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and connectedness.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we celebrate the collection of individual differences, life experiences, ideas, perspectives, knowledge, and talent. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status.