Software Engineering Coach
Location: Remote (all hours London time)
Everyone deserves a job they love. Makers retrains people as software developers and helps them find that job.
You deserve a job you love. We’ve got one for you.
Makers is Europe’s first and leading ‘coding bootcamp’ – where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 1,500 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
We’re pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
In 2020, we launched a pilot for a new version of our course: the part-time course.
This is a course in which developers go through our 3month curriculum in 6month, working evenings and weekend, typically while retaining their job.We are currently looking for a coach who will work with our next part-time cohort that will start on April 25th.
This is a 28hours/week contract, with hours as follow:
Student facing hours are:
- 6:30pm – 9pm Mondays to Thursdays (2.5 * 4 = 10 hours)
- 9am-2pm on Sundays. (5 hours)
Prep and meeting hours
Aside from these hours, you’ll have non-student facing hours, for preparation work, reviewing code, meetings with your manager and the rest of the team, etc. Those hours are flexible.
As a technical coach at Makers, your role is to support people to change their lives. Our students come from all backgrounds, and we train them to become software developers in a few months. You’ll also embody Makers values and culture and model them to the developers on the course.
You will not only be helping people to learn how to code, but how to be adaptable self-directed learners who can quickly become a productive member of any dev team.
Makers is on the cutting edge of technical education, and use a number of educational tools like self-led learning, process and behaviour modelling, project based learning, pair and team work, etc to train developers in the most complete and efficient way.
- Coach. Through active listening and questions, you’ll help students reflect on their learning, their goals, the problems they are facing and the solutions they may try.
- Mentor. You’ll use your own experience as a professional developer to model skills and behaviour necessary to be a dev.
- Technical expert. You’ll use your technical knowledge to give expert feedback to students as well as to help guide them towards solving their own problems.
- Emotional support. The bootcamp experience is intense. Students are often under a lot of stress and financial pressure. You should be there to support them and help them make the best choices they can.
- Education expert. Using recognised educational tools, you’ll help the students organise their learning, sequence material, rebuild their mental models and ultimately become independent self-learners.
- have experience as a professional software engineer (any background), and be confident coding in front of others.
- have experience helping people to grow, and have good empathy and listening skills.
- be comfortable leading workshops and 1:1s with students.
- be a self-led learner yourself.
- be an independent problem solver, who can improvise in the face of changing circumstances.
This is important as this role will be partly done out of the main Makers hours, and the rest of the coaching team will not always be around to support immediately.
- Working in a company that’s built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives;
- Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum. We encourage our team to take at least 30 days a year, including a Winter break when we shut down between late December and January. The whole company takes a break, so you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that nobody is working, not just you.
- We embrace holistic health at Makers, where mental health matters and is just as important as physical health, which is why we offer unlimited fully paid wellness leave from day 1.
- £500 Learning & Development allowance per annum and paid time off dedicated to your training & learning;
- Join twice-weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;
- 20% discount on classes & treatments at Triyoga studies across London;
- Company pension contributions;
- Access to a Perks at Work account which provides access to a range of shopping and other leisure discounts;
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.