Are you looking for a way to reinvent the way the world learns? Do you want to push the boundaries of software engineering and product development best practices? Up Learn may be the right place for you.
Come join an international remote first engineering team based out of UK, Brazil, and India. Come be a senior member of the engineering team that regularly practices pair programming and test driven development. You will be laying Up Learn’s foundations for scale and building a product that successfully tackles one of the most meaningful problems there is: education.
At Up Learn, we guarantee students academic success or their money back. Up Learn provides the entire curriculum learning component of education, and if we’re successful we’ll eliminate the need for exams and reinvent education into an experience that prepares students for the rest of their lives.
We have a team-first culture: we’re building Up Learn into the best company to work at in the world, so that we’re able to do the best possible work for our customers: the students. The work we do for students today, will have a lasting impact for the rest of their lives. Read more about why join Up Learn and the technical challenges you can work on here: https://tech.uplearn.co.uk/why-join-up-learn/. Also read about the roles senior engineers play at Up Learn here: https://tech.uplearn.co.uk/the-role-of-senior-software-engineer/
You want to have a positive impact on people’s lives. You care about the software you build, designing it to be maintainable. You also care about building software that has a smooth and painless user experience. You enjoy learning on the job and care sincerely about the team your work with.
What you’ll do in the first 6 months
- You’ll help improve engineering practices by incorporating practices like test-first development and end-to-end tests in CI/CD
- You’ll build dozens of new features and services from scratch
- You’ll work with the product manager to help prioritize problems to solve and help identify the best solutions for them
- You’ll design the architecture of at least one feature
You should have:
- Strong programming basics either obtained in school or through experience.
- At least 4 years experience with Elixir. We are looking to augment our team with some deep Elixir knowledge.
- Software architecture and design skills.
- Strong ethical foundation of humility, integrity, passion, and service to society.
Bonus points for:
- Experience being a tech lead in a product squad
- Experience with people management and related responsibilities
- Highly competitive salary
- Opportunity to work remote full time as a part of an international team
- A team that focuses on consistent delivery of quality software instead of arbitrary deadlines and overtimes
- Annual visit to the UK for the company annual retreat
- Annual engineering team meet up in different parts of the world
- Hackathons every 2 months and weekly no-work-talk calls to have fun with the team
- Fortnightly reader’s club to build knowledge and learn from one another
- Flexible working hours, unlimited holidays (minimum 26 days)
One of our pillars is valuing people and we are proud to say that we are a company that supports diversity and inclusion. Therefore, we consider all candidates for our vacancies, without distinction of race, color, religion, gender and gender identity, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, etc.