Muck Rack’s engineering team powers a platform that is meaningfully changing how journalists, PR pros, and marketers around the world work. Self-funded, globally distributed, and remote-first since our founding, Crain’s named Muck Rack one of the “Best Places to Work in NYC” in 2019 and 2020. We’re looking for a collaborative and self-motivated Senior Software Engineer to join our small but quickly growing team, and make a big impact.
As a Senior Software Engineer you’ll work alongside the CTO, fellow software engineers, product managers, and designers, to execute major technical projects on Muck Rack, lead the building of new features, and help shape our engineering culture and processes. Our engineers are not siloed to any particular part of the application–everyone contributes everywhere. You should be excited about working with large amounts of data.
Our tech stack includes Python, Django, Celery, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Vue, and Webpack. Our technology team is focused on scale, quality, delivery, and thoughtful customer experience. We ship frequently without sacrificing work/life balance.
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- 3+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to explain your ideas clearly, give and receive feedback, and work well with team members
- Worked on a complex, high-traffic site at a startup or software-as-a-service company, ideally with large amounts of data
- Solid experience with Django, Python, MySQL (or Postgres) and other software in our tech stack, and a willingness to learn in areas where you have less experience
- Familiarity with modern frontend frameworks (like Vue or React) and development patterns
- Any experience running Elasticsearch at large scale would be a bonus
- Any combination of the following would also be a bonus: experience with Celery, Luigi or Airflow, Kafka, AWS, NLP, data model performance tuning, content extraction, application performance tuning
- Take pride in the quality of your code. Your code is readable, testable, and understandable years later. You adhere to the Zen of Python
- Work well in a fast-paced development environment with testing, continuous integration and multiple daily deploys
- Ability to manage complexity in a large project, and incur technical debt only after considering the tradeoffs
- Have a logical approach to problem solving that combines analytical thinking and intuition
- Interest in journalism, news, media or social media
More about us:
Muck Rackers work to make journalists, PR pros, and marketers more successful.
Self-funded and growing quickly but sustainably, we have the freedom to build forward-thinking products, put our customers first, and offer an inclusive culture that welcomes diverse perspectives.
We enjoy the flexibility to work where we’re most productive and stay connected no matter where we’re located. We each have an impact on our continued growth and success, and we all take pride in the work we do to drive the company forward.
We encourage candidates of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. We understand job requirements often don’t allow your particular work history to shine, and we invite you to show us what you know, and how it relates to our technology. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Benefits & Perks
- Flexible remote-first policy
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan with employer contributions
- Flexible spending account
- Access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, and an Employee Assistance Program
- Off-the-grid vacation
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Discounted gym & bike memberships
- Opt-in disability and life insurance
Muck Rack encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we’re committed to a fair and consistent interview process.
**We are actively interviewing candidates across the US, Canada, Poland and Bulgaria only**