(Senior) Backend Engineer, Release
Thank you for your interest in GitLab! It’s an exciting time to join our team. We’re the world’s largest all-remote company, and we’ve been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
The GitLab Development Team is a 260+ person globally distributed team that consists of Backend Engineers, Frontend Engineers, Fullstack Engineers, and Management.
The Vision of the Development Team is to be a world class team of software engineers and managers who make our customers happy when using our product(s). Our products should contain broad rich features, high availability, high quality, fast performance, trustworthy security, and reliable operation.
The Development Team is responsible for developing products in the following categories:
GitLab is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer, Release who will focus on improving the Continuous Deployment (CD) functionality in GitLab. In this role you will cover end-to-end integration of CD in GitLab. You will work on a scale of processing a few million of CI/CD jobs on GitLab.com monthly.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
- Ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Support and collaborate with our support engineers in getting to the bottom of user-reported issues and come up with robust solutions.
- Engage with the core team and the open source community to collaborate on improving GitLab.
- Help to define and improve our code standards, and advocate for those standards during code review..
- Create and maintain documentation around features and configuration to save our users time.
- Take initiative in improving the software in small or large ways to address pain points in your own experience as a developer.
- Keep code easy to maintain and keep it easy for others to contribute code to GitLab.
- Provide mentorship for Intermediate Engineers on the team, to help them grow in their technical responsibilities.
- you have worked on a production-level Ruby application using Rails (this is a strict requirement).
- you can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level.
- you are passionate about open source.
- you have strong written communication skills.
- you are self-motivated and have strong organizational skills.
- you have demonstrated the ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term. Within the last 5 years, you’ve worked at one company for at least 2 years.
- you have demonstrated the ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- you are able to thrive in a fully remote organization
- you are able to use GitLab
- you share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Experience with DevOps and application deployment models (Kubernetes, Docker, AWS/GCP/Azure).
- 30 minute screening call with the Recruiter
- 90 minute technical interview
- 60 minute behavioral panel interview
- 60 minute senior leader interview
- Reference Checks