We’re looking for a remote Senior Backend Developer (Ruby on Rails) to join our team to help grow our start-up SmartrMail and improve email marketing for commerce. Come join us building the highest rated marketing app on Shopify!
About SmartrMail 📧
The standard in email marketing sucks, especially for commerce. As a merchant, you’re either stuck with a basic platform that sends bulk newsletters your customers hate, or you can upgrade to an enterprise tool which you pay too much for and will never have time to properly configure.
SmartrMail is the easiest way for merchants to send best practice emails and automations, so they can grow their business. Within minutes merchants have a template that matches their site, automations tailored to their customers journeys, and recommendations with products based on customer data. This saves merchants’ valuable time, delights their customers, and gets them sales.
We have 300+ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ reviews and a 4.9/5 rating on Shopify, the highest of all email marketing apps.
We’re a small, friendly team of 16, spread across Australia and Europe but growing fast. We care deeply about technology, a great user experience, and making life better for ecommerce merchants.
We’re a remote first team, but if you’re in Australia (Melbourne/Adelaide) or Lithuania (Vilnius/Kaunas) you can work flexibly out of one of our offices.
- One main Rails app, 3 Vue apps (not microservices)
- Current stack: Rails 6, Postgresql, Redis, Vue.js, Nginx, Passenger, Sidekiq, Azure
What the role will focus on
- Ruby on Rails development of new features
- Architecting optimal backend solutions to deliver quality user experiences
- Bug fixing, query optimizing and general business as usual tasks
- Advocate best practices and well tested reliable software
- Code reviews of our other developers commits, feedback, discussing ideas and taking the time to learn yourself and teach others
- Mentoring mid-level developers
What you will bring to the role
- 4+ years’ experience in a Ruby on Rails development
- Strong experience in SQL and high volume data processing. We use PostgreSQL and Redis.
- Good knowledge of cloud environments. We currently use Azure, but have used AWS and GCP in the past and may again in the future.
- Be able to consider things from a customer perspective and translate that into ideas and requirements that can continually improve our app experience
- Experience using Git version control
- Great communication (we use Github, Slack and Clubhouse)
- Friendly, with an interest in the latest tech, and a passion for learning
Nice but not essential
- Start up experience in any capacity
- Experience with commerce platforms like Shopify and BigCommerce
- Experience managing a large and growing database, ours is 1TB and doubling annually.
Why Join SmartrMail?
- Be part of building an awesome product that people love
- We’re a friendly, fun and flexible remote-first team
- We care deeply about technology, product and commerce
- We run a yearly retreat, our first one was in 2019 in Lisbon, covid had different plans for 2020
- Excellent potential to improve your craft and progress your career in a growing startup
Office locations: Remote-first. However we do have offices in Australia (Melbourne & Adelaide) and Lithuania (Vilnius & Kaunas)