Routable is a B2B payments platform built to make bill payments and mass payouts fast and seamless. Our mission is to be the simplest way to send and receive business-to-business payments. Unlike other payment platforms, Routable’s modern, easy-to-use API allows you to build a powerful payments infrastructure in minutes.
We’re a Series A startup with $16M in funding from Lee Fixel, Y Combinator, Founders Co-op, Box Group, Liquid 2 Ventures, and many others. We’re helping some of the largest marketplaces and gig economy companies, including Ticketmaster, Snackpass, and Garmentory. Hundreds of finance teams trust our decades of experience in B2B payment solutions.
Our environment encourages intellectual curiosity, problem solving, and openness—one that provides the support and mentorship needed to succeed, learn, and grow. We’ll make sure you have everything you need to do your best work and make an impact. We’re a fully remote startup with our team working from a city they love across the United States and Canada.
About the Role
As a Principal Engineer you will work directly with the product and engineering teams to help shape our product and culture. Your primary role will be to architect, influence, and build strategic web application systems and features. You will be a technical leader within the engineering organization and partner closely with engineering and product leads across multiple teams. Your work will consist of a balance between technical guidance, architecture design, and implementation to deliver high quality software solutions in a rapidly evolving B2B payments environment. It’s a unique chance to be an advocate for our incredible coding standards, efficiency and reliability.
Who we’re looking for
- You are a highly knowledgeable and experienced full stack engineer with expertise in backend development
- You are excited about building and maintaining infrastructure to handle facilitation of thousands of B2B payments.
- You are interested in setting direction for the team and help guide engineering vision.
- You are comfortable implementing integrations to other pieces of software.
- You are dedicated to delivering high quality, impactful software to our system and its general health.
Need to have
- 10+ years of experience designing and building SaaS software products from concept to launch
- Working experience building, deploying, and scaling modern web applications
- Tenaciousness about software performance and high availability
- Experience mentoring and training more junior engineers
- Solid coding practices including writing technical specifications, peer code review, and testing (e.g. unit, integration, end-to-end)
- Interest in integrating third-party APIs and the ability to understand them in several formats (e.g. SOAP, REST, GraphQL)
- Desire to architect and build scalable systems, libraries, and frameworks
Nice to have
- 3+ years experience with Python and Django
- 3+ years of experience with modern frontend technologies and frameworks – React, Redux
- Experience with financial, accounting, or payments systems
- Understanding of payment platforms (ACH, Check, Credit-card, etc.)
You must be currently authorized to work in the United States or Canada on a full-time basis.
We are a remote first company! Rather than restrict ourselves to only find talent in one city, we’d rather find the absolute best people regardless of where they live. One amazing benefit to our remote culture, is that it enables our team to enjoy traveling ✈️ more regularly since they can work from wherever!
The Principal Software Engineer reports directly to our Frontend Engineering Manager.
Our Core Values
At Routable, we are driven by our values. Our values act as guiding principles when it comes to our work, our hiring practices, and ourselves. We talk about them every day and praise each other based on our ability to embody them.
💞 Engage with Empathy: Have empathy and a deep understanding for your peers, and our customers. This means no ego and cultivating relationships by actively listening to each other’s needs.
🤝 Volunteer Assistance: Helping others is always a priority, even when it is not immediately related to the goals that we are trying to achieve. We make it a point to foster an environment of inclusiveness for our remote team.
💪 Own it: We are all company owners and we act like it. We make data driven decisions and jump at the opportunity to be accountable. Taking action when you see a problem is our default state.
🛠 Build with Purpose: We are collectively building the product and company of our dreams. We are intentional with everything we do and are always looking for ways to improve. We sweat the details.
🧬 Expect Authenticity: We do not compromise our values when it comes to our team and our customers. We champion originality. Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
To help foster amazing relationships with our coworkers, we meet bi-annually as a whole team in some pretty awesome cities! In the past we’ve met up in San Diego, Seattle, and Austin. We’d rather invest money into memorable team events rather than expensive offices. During our meet-up team time, we love to spend time learning a new skill together, and solving problems. Most recently this has taken on the form of a bread-making class and defeating an Escape Room. Yeah.. We love to compete together as a team.
Note: we have paused our meetups due to COVID-19 and will resume when it is safe for everyone to attend
🏥 Great Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
💲 Competitive salary
📈 Stock Options
🏝 Flexible vacation policy
💸 Work from Home Stipend
🚀 We’re a remote team
Routable welcomes employees from varied backgrounds and walks of life, and it’s reflected in our diverse community of Routers. Routable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to administering personnel actions, including hiring, training, promoting and compensating its employees, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.