Steamclock is looking for a talented and enthusiastic freelance Mobile Designer. If you have experience creating high-quality UI for consumer-facing mobile apps and you’re interested in a long-term freelancing opportunity, we’d love to chat!
Steamclock is a profitable and growing studio in Gastown (Vancouver, Canada) that makes very nice mobile software. We focus on shipping great products and building the kind of company we want to work at. Over the past 10+ years, we’ve designed and developed customer-facing mobile apps for experience-centric companies like Mozilla, Ridwell, Indochino, Hootsuite, and Arc’teryx.
We support remote work, and for this role we’re looking for someone who’s available to work on a contract basis for a minimum of about 30 hours per month during regular business hours in the Pacific timezone.
As a freelance Mobile Designer at Steamclock, you’ll have the opportunity to lead production UI design across 3-4 of our client apps. This work will include:
- Assessing and iterating existing designs for both iOS and Android, in collaboration with the project team and the client, to improve the overall UX, incorporate new features, and keep apps aligned with client expectations.
- Contributing to larger initiatives related to these client apps, such as designing screens for iPad versions of existing mobile apps, developing new style guides based on client requirements, etc.
- Presenting and discussing work directly with clients.
- Working with Steamclock’s Producer, in-house Designer, and Client Partnerships Manager for support and guidance.
- Optional: participating in internal projects, from time to time. This could include helping to design Steamclock swag, graphics for blog posts, and other marketing materials.
Ideal candidates will have:
- 1+ year of mobile-specific design experience. Show us your mobile design portfolio!
- An understanding of Google’s Material Design system and Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines.
- Experience with wireframing and creating high-fidelity mockups that can be handed off to a developer.
- A firm grasp of the ins-and-outs of using Figma.
- A solid track record of professional and effective communications with clients about requirements and feedback.
- Availability to work during regular business hours in the Pacific timezone.
- Capacity for at least 30 hours of work per month, on average. From time to time there may be projects that see a spike in workload — in these cases, details and requirements will be shared with you in advance to make sure you’re available and set up for success.
Steamclock is interested in starting with a 3-month contract to see if we’re a good fit for each other. Provided everything goes well in those first 3 months, we’d be interested in setting up a longer-term agreement.
Steamclock is expecting to pay around $100/hr CAD for this role, with a minimum of about 30 hours per month. The hourly rate is negotiable based on your experience level.
- Respond to this job post, including a link to your portfolio.
- If we think you’re a potential fit, we’ll send you an email with some follow-up questions.
- After we review the email responses, we’ll schedule interviews with applicants who we think are the best match for what we’re looking for. Our Producer, in-house Designer, and Client Partnerships Manager will attend the call, and we’ll use Zoom to connect.
- Once all the interviews are complete, we’ll contact the successful applicant to set up a contract