Director of Engineering (Protocol Engineering)
ConsenSys is the leading Ethereum software company. We enable developers, enterprises, and people worldwide to build next-generation applications, launch modern financial infrastructure, and access the decentralized web. Our product suite, composed of Infura, Quorum, Codefi, MetaMask, and Diligence, serves millions of users, supports billions of blockchain-based queries for our clients, and has handled billions of dollars in digital assets. Ethereum is the largest programmable blockchain in the world, leading in business adoption, developer community, and DeFi activity. On this trusted, open source foundation, we are building the digital economy of tomorrow. To explore our products and solutions, visit http://consensys.net/.
Protocol Engineering at ConsenSys is a world leader in blockchain research and development. We are building and contributing to the foundational protocols and systems upon which Ethereum MainNet, Ethereum 2, Enterprise Ethereum, Layer 2, and Sidechains are based. Our teams are building Hyperledger Besu, Quorum, Teku, and are researching roll-ups, zero knowledge execution, distributed systems, consensus protocols, formal verification, and crosschain protocols. Our development teams are creating world class in-demand enterprise technology. The Protocol Engineering team is critical to the success of ConsenSys and Enterprise Ethereum.
Your primary responsibility is to the engineers that are a part of the protocols business unit. You will own and grow our engineering operations in order to increase wellness and effectiveness. You will be supported as you make changes to ensure your teams are inclusive and productive. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Plan and support career development for the members of your team;
- Inspire and grow your team through mentorship, empowerment, and by challenging them to do their best work;
- Help recruit great, diverse humans that compliment each other as a team;
- Participate in OKR planning;
- Conduct regular 1-1s with the team-members;
- Key stakeholder in making the hard people decisions, including laying-off people when needed;
- Facilitate delivery/product discussions, remove blockers;
- Help reporting to stakeholders
- Ensure decisions are made rather than make them yourself.
- Ensure that the team becomes increasingly diverse.
- Facilitate the Engineering team’s work to meet requirements and timelines from key external and internal stakeholders
- Inspire an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as an engineering coach, and a mentor.
- You will support the company direction in becoming data driven; helping implement data driven approaches to improve processes and metrics within the team
The ideal candidate will have experience managing teams in the following areas:
- Cross-cultural and multi-cultural teams;
- Cross-timezone, global distribution;
- Remote working;
- Agile environment;
- Rapidly changing and brand new technologies;
- Working with Enterprise clients (ideally in the finance industry).
Don’t check all of the boxes? Don’t sweat it. We’re passionate about building a diverse team of humans and as such, if you think you’ve got what it takes for our chaotic-but-fun, remote-friendly, start-up environment—apply anyway. While we have a pretty good idea of what we need, we’re ready for you to challenge our thinking on who needs to be in this role.
Here are some of the perks of being part of a unique organization like ConsenSys
- One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. A work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. ConsenSys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
- The forefront of a revolution. We fundamentally believe blockchain is a next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society. You can be a part of building the digital economy of tomorrow and radically transforming our society for the better.
- A dynamic startup environment with deep roots. We are one of the earliest blockchain companies and a leader in the space. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
- Deep technical challenges. Blockchain technology is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler. There is much to be done before these platforms can scale to the order of millions or billions of users. We are building the tools, infrastructure and applications l that are pushing the technology forward.
- Continuous learning and improvements. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ConsenSys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found here.