Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. We’re one of the earliest enablers of embedded finance, a market opportunity sized up in the trillions. Our card-issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for companies to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real-time. Marqeta is powering the most well-known brands in the new economy (Block, Cash App, Affirm, Instacart, Doordash, Uber, Walmart, etc.). Today nearly 8 out of 10 Americans use a product powered by Marqeta every week. This is the opportunity of a lifetime to work with innovators around the world and unlock equitable financial access for all.
As Marqeta’s Director, Marketing Analytics & Operations you will be responsible for leading the team that manages Marqeta’s marketing operations, campaign execution, MarTech strategy, implementation and support. This role partners with Marketing leadership to ensure that processes and campaigns run efficiently and develops insights that measure the impact of Marketing on the overall business, while managing the systems and data that enables it. An ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success leading a B2B marketing analytics, operations or strategy function, and commands strong leadership and communication skills.
We work Flexible First. This role can be performed remotely anywhere within the U.S. or from our local Oakland office. We’d love for you to join us!
As we continue our evolution as the world’s best Embedded Finance provider, we are committed to growth by telling our compelling story that will drive strong demand for our offerings. We are building a data-driven brand and demand gen powerhouse, development and implementation of processes, tools, initiatives, infrastructure and technology required to deliver. To help define and build this, we’re looking for an exceptional analytics and operations leader. This analytically-minded, and operationally-centric leader will help enable marketing programs across all segments (SMB to Enterprise) and channels ranging from digital inbound, account-based marketing and sales development. Your mission will be to build an Operations and Analytics center of excellence. You will lead and run the day-to-day data and analytics function, marketing team operations, campaign operations, MarTech strategy and implementation, and team leadership. This team will be the backbone of our Marketing capability, facilitating campaign execution, technology & data management, analytics and marketing operations that drive smart, fast, high-impact decision-making.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, this key leadership position requires a combination of strategic and analytical thinking, operational excellence, and strong leadership skills. Collaborating closely with global marketing and sales leaders, you’ll orchestrate the formation of a small yet outstanding team of high performers who:
- Generate the analyses and insights that define the marketing initiatives and campaigns to drive growth
- Measure the impact of marketing on the overall business
- Implement the demand generation campaigns that fuel our growth
- Manage the marketing technology and data stack, ensuring optimal utilization to deliver objectives
- Streamline the Marketing Department operations to increase discipline, efficiency and productivity
This center of excellence is currently in the “build” phase, and we’re looking for someone with the vision and experience to guide its growth and maturity – this is a huge opportunity to positively impact Marqeta’s trajectory as a company.
What You’ll Do
Leadership & Direction
- Define the vision of the Marketing Operations & Analytics team, building the roadmap and implementation plan to achieve that vision
- Educate the team and organization on analytics and operations to “build the muscle”
- A true player-coach to manage a team that is responsible for analyzing data, distilling insights and presenting actionable findings that can enhance our marketing programs
- Effectively communicate and influence stakeholders on marketing performance using data-driven insights
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the marketing organization by surfacing key insights, providing recommendations on areas for improvement, and identifying growth levers in order to set strategic direction
- Further Marketing’s understanding of levers that deliver business outcomes through thought leadership, new measurement solutions (MTA) and identification of leading indicators through correlation analysis
Planning & Measurement
- Co-own the measurement framework and learning agenda for Marketing, together with Insights Team, including defining key marketing metrics, goals and supporting experimentation to ensure that data guides decision-making and prioritization
- Partner with Demand Generation to develop accurate forecasting models, and consistently report on full-funnel delivery against targets, providing a holistic view of performance across segments, channels, and products.
- Establish an analysis model offering clear visibility into the drivers of pipeline through leading and lagging indicators
- Monitor, analyze, measure and report the health of marketing contribution to pipeline, program ROI, customer acquisition and penetration, lead acquisition and activity through clear dashboards and data visualization
- Lead the creation and maintenance of processes, analytics and reports to measure marketing department effectiveness, including ROI, campaign effectiveness, campaign cadence, database health, brand health and customer acquisition
- Benchmark current marketing activities, performance, and investment against industry best practices, and develop a roadmap for improvements
Martech and Systems Optimization
- Lead the vision and optimization for our marketing technology roadmap – audit and evaluate our marketing technology stack, including automation capabilities, lead processing, measurement and reporting, associated data sources and usage.
- Tools include Marketo, Bizible, DemandBase, Google Analytics, SalesLoft, Apollo, SalesForce, and more
- Own ensuring that actionable insights pass seamlessly between marketing and sales
- Drive data management to increase data integrity and global reach; own marketing database management and data requests (e.g. segmentation, list creation)
- Automate and improve data integrity and data management initiatives, including segmentation implementation and analysis; list management; and lead processes in Salesforce.com
- Define a measurement tagging protocol and ensure all initiatives are setup for effective end to end performance measurement
- Ensure that no lead is left behind by working with Sales and Demand Generation to optimize the lead management processes and systems End to End, to ensure effective identification, scoring and management/hand offs of leads as they come into the system and progress to sales.
- Lead the setup and execution of all Marketing campaigns through our Martech stack
Process and Implementation
- Collaborate with marketing leaders to identify opportunities to leverage automation to improve effectiveness, including audience segmentation, offer optimization, nurture flows, and lead scoring
- Monitor and report on the effective flow of data through our systems, programs, and processes
- Lead initiatives to map and refine marketing processes, enhancing process efficiency and role clarity throughout the department.
- Build for Scale by automating reporting, documenting definitions and processes, building in education forums, executing global taxonomy across tech stacks and overall information shared to all teams.
- Oversee the vendor/contractor/freelance management process for the department, including setup, scope management and performance management.
- Explore new methods for increasing marketing operational effectiveness and efficiency, including new tools, methodologies, and resourcing (e.g. offshoring/nearshoring)
- Manage marketing department budgets, forecasting and finance-related processes
What We’re Looking For
- A minimum of 10-15 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 12 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 8 years experience; or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of B2B marketing leadership experience with specialization in analytics, marketing technology and operations
- Strong leadership, and excellent communication and influencing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, global environment with strong attention to detail
- In-depth understanding of the sales and marketing technology landscape, with hands-on proficiency in Marketing Automation (Marketo), CRM (Salesforce), ABM (Demandbase), Sales Engagement (SalesLoft), Predictive Analytics, Attribution, and Data Enrichment
- Application submission
- Recruiter phone call
- Hiring manager video call
- Virtual “Onsite” consisting of 4-5, 45 min calls
Compensation and Benefits
Marqeta is a Flex First company which allows you to choose your best working environment, whether that be from home or at a company office. To support Flex First, we calibrate pay to a competitive value according to working location. Compensation is aligned according to three tiers within the United States:
- National: A baseline tier that applies to most of the geographic territory of the United States.
- Premium: Slightly elevated from the National tier, and oriented toward a narrower set of higher cost-of-living areas, such as Los Angeles CA and Seattle WA
- Premium Plus: A tier for the most expensive working areas, like the San Francisco Bay area and New York City.
Visit this page or consult with a Recruiter to determine which tier would be applicable to you.
When determining salaries, we consider several factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior experience, and work location. The new-hire base salary range for this position is:
- National: 153,150 – 204,200 USD
- Premium: 172,350 – 229,800 USD
- Premium Plus: 191,475 – 255,300 USD
We also believe in recognizing the contributions of our people. That’s why we award annual bonuses to eligible employees, rewarding both individual performance and the success of the entire company.
Along with monetary compensation, Marqeta offers
- Multiple health insurance options
- Flexible time off – take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial and professional coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our remote work model
- Annual “development dollars” to support our people growth and development
Equal Opportunity, Accommodations, and Privacy
Marqeta is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that gives consideration to all qualified applicants, irrespective of any characteristics protected by law. This includes (but is not limited to) race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, color, ancestry, and Veteran status. We consider qualified applicants from all backgrounds, without regard to criminal histories, in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the categories above. Review Marqeta’s ESG Report to see that dedication in action. Fostering an environment where everyone feels valued and respected creates a stronger and more innovative team at Marqeta. We celebrate the unique contributions of each individual and empower all members of our organization. Join us in building a company where diversity thrives and everyone can be their authentic selves.
If you require reasonable accommodation for the application process and beyond, please submit this form and we will be more than happy to assist you. Marqeta will make reasonable accommodations for candidates when needed in accordance with applicable law. The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.