Calling all Overleaf users! We’re looking for an active and enthusiastic user to join our team as Community Outreach Coordinator. As our user base continues to grow and expand, the person in this role will help to develop, maintain and expand our key user-facing content, including our learn wiki, gallery, blog, and social media.
This is a remote, full-time role, ideally based in the UK, EU, or the Eastern time zone of the US.
Who we are
Overleaf is a startup and social enterprise that builds modern collaborative authoring tools for scientists — like Google Docs for Science. Our primary product is an online, real time collaborative editor for papers, theses, technical reports and other documents written in the LaTeX markup language.
Overleaf has seen rapid adoption across science and research, and now supports a community of over seven million users worldwide. This community includes major institutions such as Stanford and Caltech, with Overleaf becoming an integral part not only of research collaborations but also of undergraduate teaching. Many large international tech companies and labs use our enterprise solutions, and we work with several major publishers: for example, supporting collaboration on IEEE’s member platform, and making the journal submission process smoother for LaTeX users across many academic publishers.
Overleaf was founded by two mathematicians who were inspired by their own experiences in academia to create a better solution for scientific collaboration and communication. Now we are a team of forty, based mainly in and around the UK and in the US. We were recently recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 fastest growing businesses and as the Best SaaS for Nonprofits or Education in the 2020 SaaS awards Program
How we work
Overleaf is remote-first — all founders and staff work remotely. Our main office is located in London, UK, and we aim to get the whole team together in London a couple of times a year for face-to-face time, Coronavirus permitting.
We encourage flexible working. Our core hours are 9am-12 noon US ET / 2pm–5pm UK time.
About this role
Overleaf has built up a large corpus of user-facing content, in particular that in our learn wiki, gallery, and blog, and new content is added regularly. We also maintain a social media presence on platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
As we continue to grow, we’re looking for someone who’s been using Overleaf in an academic or similar setting to help us:
- Curate, maintain and surface our existing content to new and existing users.
- Make sure our content consistently lives up to our core values.
- Write regular blog posts and other written communications to share company news and updates.
- Create new content that’s interesting and helpful for our users.
- Engage our community on social media, and triage incoming messages with our wider team as needed.
In this role you’d naturally be working with other teams within Overleaf to coordinate and organise this work as needed. In addition to working with multiple groups within the Overleaf team, you will have the chance to interact with the broader portfolio of Digital Science products and solutions.
As Overleaf is a fast-growing company, there will also be opportunities for the person hired for this position to grow and develop, and to take on additional responsibility, if desired.
How we hire
The stages in our hiring process are typically:
- We will aim to update you on the status of your application within one week from when we receive it.
- We’ll follow up by email (or sometimes schedule a phone call) with any questions we have about your application, usually around logistics, your ambitions and your expectations about the role.
- We’ll schedule a more in-depth interview, which is typically two hours long. The first hour is discussion, and the second hour is practical. For the practical, you’ll have the option of either completing a homework assignment, which requires about one hour of your time before the interview, or doing an exercise during the interview, if you prefer. The exercises are practical in nature, and you can use Google, etc., and ask us questions.
- We’ll make an offer. We usually interview in batches, so there may be a short delay while we interview other candidates, but we will try to keep you informed throughout the process.
- If you have a deadline, please let us know in your application, and we will try to be accommodating.
We require that you:
- work for us full time (or nearly full time)
- will usually be available in our core hours, 9-12 US EST / 2pm – 5pm UK time
- travel occasionally, to meet with colleagues
- have excellent written English
- are friendly, polite and professional — these are some of our core values.
- maintain commercial awareness — you will be interacting with our users and customers.
- are proficient and enthusiastic in using Overleaf and LaTeX
- have experience with and be comfortable on social media platforms such as Twitter
- be able to use communication and collaboration tools such as Slack, Front, Google Meet, and Google Docs.
- have the ability to work in a remote environment, and complete assigned tasks within the time allotted.
The following skills are desirable (but not required):
- Presenting to groups via webconference
- Short, informative video creation
This is a paid, full-time position. You can work from anywhere, ideally based in either the UK or EU or the Eastern time zone of the US, and salary will be based on experience. Benefits include:
- Remote and flexible working.
- You would join a small, dedicated, and growing team.
- We’re part of Digital Science (https://www.digital-science.com/) and backed by Bethnal Green Ventures (https://bethnalgreenventures.com/), through which we’re part of a wider community of startups in science, health and ed-tech.
- You can pick your own equipment. MacBook Pro? Lenovo ThinkPad? Notebook and pen? However you like to work, we’ll provide what you need.
- We provide a training budget; many of our staff choose to attend relevant industry conferences or buy training materials.
- We run a biweekly internal seminar series (show and tell) with short talks from staff about their work or personal projects, new technologies and techniques.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.